Dollars for Doers programs are a form of corporate philanthropy, but how much do you know about them beyond that? As a nonprofit, your fundraising efforts can be rewarding, but also competitive as other organizations with similar missions attempt to raise funds, too.
This means expanding your efforts and getting creative. It also means tapping into fundraising opportunities that you might be overlooking. One of these opportunities is Dollars for Doers.
In this article, we’ll offer a helpful overview of what Dollars for Doers programs are, how you can raise more revenue from them, and what next steps you can take to best leverage them. Specifically, we’ll cover:
- An Overview of Dollars for Doers Programs
- How Dollars for Doers Programs Work
- Dollars for Doers Software
- How Nonprofits Can Get Dollars for Doers Grants
- Top Dollars for Doers Companies
1. Dollars for Doers Programs: Overview
The first thing to know about Dollars for Doers programs is that they’re not only known by one name. Dollars for Doers programs are also known as volunteer grants, among other names, such as:
- Grants for Time Programs
- Dollar for Hour Programs
- Matching Time Programs
Definition of Dollars for Doers Programs
Dollars for Doers, or volunteer grants, are a type of corporate giving program in which companies award monetary grants to organizations where their employees regularly volunteer.
Seems like a great opportunity for your nonprofit, right? Unfortunately, these programs are often overlooked due to a lack of awareness on all sides. Organizations are unaware their volunteers may be eligible for Dollars for Doers grants, or simply lack the time and effort required to pursue these additional sources of funding. Similarly, volunteers may not even know their employers offer such a program.
But these programs are valuable sources of revenue for your nonprofit! They’re essentially free money, as long as you know how to incorporate them into your fundraising strategy.
2. How Dollars for Doers Programs Work
If you’re wondering how to get a Dollars for Doers grant, it’s a pretty straightforward process. Dollars for Doers programs generally follow the same steps:
- An individual volunteers with a nonprofit. The individual volunteers with your organization and checks their eligibility for a Dollars for Doers grant through their employer.
- The individual submits a request for a Dollars for Doers grant. Following their employer’s posted instructions, the individual submits a volunteer grant request to their company.
- Company reviews the request. The company reviews the request and verifies the volunteer hours with your organization.
- Company awards grant to nonprofit. After everything has been verified and the requirements have been met, your organization receives a grant!
It’s that simple, and yet Dollars for Doers programs are still overlooked. Not many organizations have the staff, time, or resources to devote to promoting volunteer grants, much less see them through to completion. We’ll jump more into this next.
3. Dollars for Doers Software
If you’re looking for an efficient and effective way to promote Dollars for Doers programs to your volunteers, you’re in luck! We’ve done the hard work for you. After doing a comparison of corporate giving databases, we found the top corporate giving software that offers substantial information about Dollars for Doers grants: Double the Donation.
Double the Donation is the leading provider of matching gift and volunteer grant solutions, offering a database that lists more than 20,000 companies and subsidiaries and their corporate giving programs. It’s the most comprehensive source of information, guidelines, and instructions regarding a company’s Dollars for Doers program.
Double the Donation offers two products that both pull from its comprehensive database: the Premium Plan and 360MatchPro. Read on to learn about each of these!
Double the Donation’s Premium Plan is an ideal solution for small to mid-sized nonprofits looking for a simple way to promote Dollars for Doers programs to their volunteers.
Using a search tool plugin, which can be embedded anywhere on your website, volunteers can easily search for their employer’s name. Then, their company’s volunteer grant information will be pulled directly from the extensive database.
The Premium Plan comes with several benefits, including:
- Customizability. The plugin can be adjusted to match your organization’s branding (though it looks great as is!).
- Comprehensiveness and accuracy. With over 20,000 companies listed in the database, you’ll be more likely to find a company’s corporate giving guidelines. It’s also frequently updated so you get the most accurate information.
- User-friendliness. The results from the search tool are easy to understand. Your volunteers can easily click links that direct them to the forms and guidelines they need to submit a grant request.
But what if you run a larger organization and have a lot more volunteers and data to keep track of? Keep reading!
360MatchPro by Double the Donation
360MatchPro by Double the Donation is a great option for large organizations and educational institutions that bring in more than $1 million a year in revenue. But it’s also a good solution for any size nonprofit that uses other fundraising platforms that integrate with 360MatchPro.
360MatchPro pulls its Dollars for Doers information from the same database as the Premium Plan. But the platform takes this process a few steps further and automates the entire thing.
Here’s an example of how this works:
- Once a supporter donates to your nonprofit, the information they provide is scanned by 360MatchPro and automatically run through the database. This could include an email domain your donor provided or employer information they entered.
- Once their eligibility for a corporate giving program is determined, the platform triggers an email to them outlining the next steps they should take.
- If your donor is also a volunteer and learns that their employer offers a Dollars for Doers program, they’ll know they can request a grant!
360MatchPro ensures any corporate giving opportunities for your supporters don’t fall through the cracks. By automating the entire process, you can track the progress of Dollars for Doers grants without worrying about missing an opportunity or any eligible volunteers slipping through!
4. How Nonprofits Can Get Dollars for Doers Grants
Now that you know what kind of software can help you find volunteer grant companies, this will definitely help you raise more through Dollars for Doers. However, the process of securing these grants might still feel overwhelming. Through effective marketing, it’s more doable than you think!
Your organization probably has a set marketing process in place, but promoting Dollars for Doers programs shouldn’t be cast to the side. In fact, these efforts should be front and center. Luckily, combining corporate giving software and your marketing outreach can keep Dollars for Doers programs at the forefront of everyone’s minds.
Once you’ve added a search tool plugin to your website, you can then integrate it into every component of your marketing campaigns, including:
- Websites and donation pages. Featuring a volunteer grant search tool on your website and donation pages gives your supporters easy access to the information they’ll need about their employers’ programs. If they’re already interacting with your organization online, they’ll be more likely to search for their company!
- Email campaigns. You probably send out communications on a regular basis. Next time you reach out to donors or volunteers, include a link right in the email itself so supporters can easily navigate to the search tool on your website.
- Social media. If you have a following on social media, be sure to include posts dedicated to sharing Dollars for Doers information! Feature posts on a regular basis that link to your volunteer grant search tool on your website so it’s easy to access.
- Fundraising events with printed or digital materials. Holding an event? Distribute materials with information about volunteer grants! That way, you can include a link to your search tool and attendees can find everything they need.
Combining corporate giving software with your already established marketing campaign can do wonders for your fundraising! Be sure to try out these avenues and see the results for yourself!
5. Top Dollars for Doers Companies
As a nonprofit organization, it’s always a good practice to track companies that offer Dollars for Doers programs. Your corporate giving software can help with this, and you’ll have a higher chance of identifying volunteers who work for these companies.
To get you started, here are some of the top companies with Dollars for Doers programs:
Illinois Tools Works, Inc. (ITW) is an American Fortune 200 company that produces engineered fasteners and components, among other products. ITW also offers a Dollars for Doers program. For each hour an employee of ITW volunteers, the company provides a grant of $10, with a maximum of $1,000 per employee per year.
Amgen is a biopharmaceutical company and large independent biotechnology company. They offer an excellent Dollars for Doers program for full- and part-time employees.
After an employee volunteers at least 15 hours with an organization, they are eligible to request a grant of $500 from the Amgen Foundation. Each additional hour over the initial 15 hours is worth $25. Full-time employees can request a grant up to $2,000 each year, while part-time employees can request up to $1,000.
3. Merck & Co.
Merck & Co. is a large pharmaceutical company with a generous Dollars for Doers program. The program has two tiers, offering $500 grants for 40 volunteer hours and $1,000 grants for 80 hours of volunteering.
Looking for even more Dollars for Doers programs? Check out this list from Double the Donation!
Dollars for Doers programs are an important fundraising opportunity your nonprofit should definitely take advantage of. Hopefully this guide helps get you started on raising more for your cause!
Additional Dollars for Doers Resources
If you’re looking for additional information about Dollars for Doers grants, check out the resources below!
- Corporate Volunteer Grant Programs: Learn the Basics. Looking to learn more about how Dollars for Doers programs work? Check out this comprehensive guide from Double the Donation.
- Top Volunteer Grant Companies: Do You Work For One? Find even more companies that offer Dollars for Doers grants and see if your volunteers work for one!
- Corporate Philanthropy: A Comprehensive Guide for Nonprofits. Learn the ins and outs of corporate philanthropy with our guide for nonprofits!